Monday, January 7, 2013

Pasta Salad? Salad Pasta?


Pasta Salad? Salad Pasta?

I do not know what to call this pasta salad or salad pasta that I whipped up for dinner today. It is a combination of simple carbonara recipe and greens. So is it supposed to be called green carbonara?



Since the start of the year, I promised that I would eat healthier and must lose weight. I am very overweight that it is difficult for me to look for clothes that would fit me. There are many clothes I want but I am restricted by my size.

I also have allergies. There is a solution but with that medication, I will get fatter due to steroids. So I told myself that I should lose weight for the benefit of my health and the wants I have.

Here is a healthy recipe. It is a pasta recipe which is creamy, light and flavorful. And yet, there is no cream. But even if it is full of greens, you should refrain from eating a lot. It still is not right. This recipe is good for three people or two if you and a friend are heavy eaters.

The recipe calls for:


3 cups cooked pasta
3 cloves of garlic, sliced
1 small onion, sliced
3 tomatoes, sliced
3 shiitake mushrooms, sliced (I used fresh)
1/3 cup eggplant, sliced
3 cups of spinach (this is an estimate but the more, the better)
1 large egg
2 strips of bacon, chopped (optional)
1 tablespoon water
salt and pepper
canola oil

1. Saute garlic and onion with a drizzle of oil until the onion is translucent and the garlic is golden brown. Set aside.

2. Saute eggplant and mushrooms. Set aside.

3. Saute tomatoes. Add in garlic, onions, eggplant and mushrooms. Saute together.

4. Add in spinach and water. Cover.
5. When the spinach begins to wilt, mix the vegetables together. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

6. Add a tablespoon of oil and add bacon. If your bacon is fatty ('cause mine did not have a trace of fat), there is no need to add oil. Fry until the fat is gone and add it into the vegetables.
7. Put the pasta in the pan where the vegetables and the bacon were cooked. Stir around the pan for it to be coated by the remaining oil. If the pasta is hot, remove from heat. Fix the pasta flat in the pan.
8. Add egg and mix it around until the egg becomes creamy. Keep on stirring and season with salt and pepper. Add in the vegetable mix and stir once more.


The egg becomes the sauce which makes the pasta creamy. I used canola oil since it is better for frying than olive oil. The vegetables were cooked separately to prevent burning and being under cooked.

Flavor:

The creamy pasta has a subtle salty flavor which was caused by the salt and bacon. It also has that meaty flavor from the bacon, eggplant and mushrooms. There is also a subtle sweetness from the tomatoes,onions and the garlic. Yes, the garlic. The spinach had a slight bitterness which created another dimension of flavor.

Nutrition Facts:

Spinach is a good source of dietary fiber. Fiber is good for bowel movement, prevention of diabetes and heart disease, losing weight, lowering cholesterol levels and balancing sugar levels of the body. Downside: Sodium. Tomatoes is high in Vitamins A and C, and potassium. It is also a good source of natural sugar. Potassium helps in regulating blood flow. Since I swim regularly nowadays, I need potassium to prevent cramps. Downside: sugar. Shiitake mushrooms are also high in potassium, dietary fiber and a lot more vitamins and minerals. Downside: none. Eggplants are also high in potassium and dietary fiber.

Please try this recipe and tell me your thoughts.

Toodles Noodles,
Sushi of the Orient

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write down your comments about this post and your suggestions for future posts!! <3 you guys! ^u^